Going out with the baby is not easy especially when you have to carry the baby, the diaper bag, your keys, phone, and handbag all at the same time. You’d wish you had a pair of extra hands.
In such times, you can try accessories like the babywearing t-shirt and a baby carrier hoodie that help you hold the baby securely, while keeping your hands free to hold other things.
In this MomJunction post, we tell you all about babywearing shirts and carrier hoodies, guide you in picking the right options, and list the 11 best babywearing shirts and baby carrier hoodies that you may consider.
What Are A Babywearing Shirt And Baby Carrier Hoodie?
A babywearing shirt is a t-shirt with a large pouch at the front to place the baby. The shirt is worn as a normal piece of clothing and the pouch stays compressed when not in use. As the baby inside the pouch resembles a baby kangaroo in its mother’s pouch, these shirts are also referred to as kangaroo care t-shirts.
A baby carrier hoodie is a jacket that goes over the torso when you are holding the baby in an infant carrier. The jacket has a pouch-shaped extension to accommodate the baby strapped in the carrier. It allows you to cover the baby when you are outdoors. A baby carrier hoodie does not contain a pouch and is to be worn over an infant carrier.
Both babywearing shirts and baby carrier hoodies provide several advantages to both moms and dads.
What Are The Advantages Of A Babywearing Shirt And Baby Carrier Hoodie?
A babywearing shirt and baby carrier hoodie can offer the following benefits to parents:
- Remove the hassle of a baby carrier: A babywearing shirt eliminates the need for a baby carrier since it doubles up as a t-shirt and a carrier.
- Skin-to-skin contact: Several babywearing shirts let your baby stay in direct contact with your bare skin. Skin-to-skin contact can be very comforting to a little one, may soothe them and improve the parent-child bond.
- Allow you to do active work: Many babywearing shirts hold the baby so snugly that you need not even place your hand on the infant. It frees your hands for other things. A baby carrier hoodie makes it convenient to do outdoor chores with your baby. Even when it is cold outside, the hoodie keeps the baby warm.
You must choose the right babywearing shirt and baby carrier hoodie to get the most out of it.
How To Pick A Babywearing Shirt And Baby Carrier Hoodie?
Consider the following points when shopping for the products:
- Size of the shirt or hoodie: The size of the shirt can vary depending on whether it is meant for mom or dad and if the manufacturer specifies the age of the baby. In the case of a hoodie, check if it is sized to work with all types of infant carriers and wraps.
- Type of pouch: Some babywearing shirts have the pouch inwards for maximum skin-to-skin contact. In other cases, the pouch lies on the outside. You can pick a shirt depending on the extent of skin contact you want, or the baby prefers.
- Type of material: If your baby has sensitive skin, then pick a material that is soft and gentle on their skin. The stretchability of the fabric is also important to ensure a secure fit for the little one. For baby carrier hoodies, pick materials like polyester and nylon that are durable.
- Handsfree: A few babywearing shirts will require you to place a hand on the baby while others use reinforced elastic to do the job for you. If you do not mind placing at least one of your hands on the baby for security, then you can pick the non-handsfree type. Parents indulging in active outdoor work should select handsfree babywearing shirts.
- Convenient for nursing: If you plan to nurse your baby outdoors, then pick shirts that can provide the baby with easy access to breastfeeding. Babywearing shirts that provide complete skin-to-skin contact usually make it easy for you to breastfeed discreetly.
The next section contains a list of the 11 best babywearing shirts and baby carrier hoodies for you to consider.
11 Best Babywearing Shirts And Baby Carrier Hoodies
Best babywearing shirts
1. DadWare Cotton Kangaroo Care T-Shirt
This t-shirt makes it possible for dads to bond with their little one.
- Velcro straps around the neck allow it to open wide enough to accommodate the baby conveniently.
- The T-shirt contains more than 90% cotton, which makes the fabric comfortable and breathable.
- It is not hands-free, and neither is there is a pocket to place the baby.
- A few dads noted that the Velcro could be scratchy when it comes in contact with the skin of the baby.
2. VIJA Men’s Skin-to-Skin Kangaroo Care T-Shirt
A cool T-shirt for dads who are looking for a discreet babywearing piece of clothing.
- The fabric is 94% cotton and provides a soft and snug fit for the little one.
- It looks like a regular T-shirt. The pouch compresses and flattens when the baby is not in it, thus giving it a traditional t-shirt look.
- The pocket is entirely external and thus does not provide extensive skin-to-skin contact with the baby. You will also have to place a hand on the baby for support.
3. NuRoo Moisture-Wicking Babywearing Shirt
The moisture-wicking properties of the shirt make it an ideal babywearing top for hot summer days.
- The shirt is made from a material that is soft, breathable, and also absorbs any sweat, thus keeping the baby comfortable.
- The shirt has zero rough seams. It prevents any discomfort to the baby.
- A support belt helps hold the baby at its place by preventing it from sliding.
- Some users found the size of the shirt to be on the smaller side even when they bought the right size.
- A few mothers found the Velcro a bit uncomfortable.
4. NuRoo Pocket
The shirt is designed to provide the best skin-to-skin contact for the baby and the mother.
- There is a pocket to the inside of the shirt, where you place the baby. The sides of the shirt then wrap around the baby. It creates a secure and snug fit.
- The baby lies next to your bare skin, which allows for maximum skin-to-skin contact.
- A belt at the waist prevents the infant from sliding downwards, thus giving you a handsfree experience.
- Several mothers noted that the size of the shirt is smaller than average, and it is ideal for newborns only.
- The shirt is available in only a couple of sizes.
5. VIJA Design Skin-to-Skin Kangaroo Care T-Shirt
This baby T-shirt is very discreet, and it can easily pass as a regular T-shirt.
- The fabric of the shirt is 94% cotton, which makes the T-shirt soft, comfortable, and breathable.
- The shirt is available in six colors.
- The baby stays close to your body, which makes it easy to nurse the little one.
- A few mothers noted that the fitting of the T-shirt is a bit tight, and in some cases, the baby was uncomfortable too.
6. VIJA Design Halter Strap Kangaroo Top
The VIJA design babywearing shirt is both fashionable and functional.
- The halter strap makes the babywearing shirt discreet and appear like any other piece of clothing.
- The shirt is 94% cotton, thus making it breathable and comfortable for both the mother and the baby.
- Breastfeeding in this shirt is convenient as the baby has easy access to it.
- The top is not hands-free, and you will have to place a hand on the infant.
- Several mothers found the fitting to be small even when picking the right size.
Baby carrier hoodies and jackets
7. Boba Baby Carrier Hoodie
The hoodie is very comfortable for both the mom and baby thanks to its elastic fabric.
- The fabric is soft and stretchy, which makes it easy to adjust the baby held inside the carrier. The hoodie fits over most soft-structured baby carriers from most brands.
- The jacket can be worn frontside back as well. It is useful for parents who usually place their baby carrier on their back.
- There is a small pocket on the hoodie that allows you to feel for baby’s diaper; just in case you sense the baby has soiled the diaper.
- A few users felt that the hoodie did not fit as snugly as expected.
8. Small show Baby Carrier Fleece Sweat shirt
This jacket for your baby carrier is warm and provides a comfortable fit for both the mother and the baby.
- The baby-covering part of the jacket is a separate insert and removable. It makes excellent two-in-one apparel.
- There is a hoodie even for the baby so that your little one can stay warm and insulated too.
- The jacket is available in five sizes so that you can pick the one that best fits you.
- A few users noted that the jacket had a chemical smell when removed from the packaging.
9. FUN2BEMUM Baby Carrier Jacket
This baby carrier jacket can be an excellent choice if you’re looking for something to use in winters.
- The jacket has a modular design, which means you can unzip the baby-covering extension. You can use it as a regular jacket when not carrying the baby.
- The pocket of the jacket has a universal size, which means the jacket can accommodate most baby wraps and infant carriers.
- The jacket is made of polyester, which is warm and durable.
- A few moms felt that the jacket is bigger than expected.
10. Extendher Baby Carrier Coat
It makes a great choice for moms who want to keep their baby warm and dry in the harsh winters.
- The external shell of the jacket is made from nylon, which is durable and waterproof. It helps keep both the mom and the baby warm.
- The front baby-covering extension is removable so that you can use the apparel as a stand-alone jacket.
- A few users did not like the quality of the zippers and Velcro used.
11. Luckyshop Kangaroo Sweatshirt
A stylish and simple baby carrier hoodie that you can wear every day over your infant carrier.
- A baby-covering extension lies right at the front and thus easily goes over the infant wrap. There is even a small hoodie for the baby’s head.
- The front section can be unzipped and removed. It lets you use the jacket like a normal one when not carrying the baby in the infant carrier.
- The hoodie is available in three sizes so that you can pick the size that fits you and your baby the best.
- A few buyers were not impressed with the quality and durability of the fabric.
Babywearing shirts and baby carrier hoodies make it easier to go out with the baby or carry out other activities while keeping the baby close to you. These products save you the hassle of pushing a stroller and instead keep the little one as close to you as possible. Most of these shirts and hoodies can be worn casually too, and not necessarily as a baby carrier, which means you can use them even after the baby outgrows them.
Have you ever purchased a babywearing shirt or a baby carrier hoodie? Do share your experiences in the comment section below.
Disclaimer: MomJunction may earn a commission when products are purchased through affiliate links given in the article. However, this partnership does not influence the editorial content featuring in our list.